Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Tuesday's Forgotten Movies: THE ACCIDENTAL TOURIST (1988)



This was one of my favorite Anne Tyler novels and the movie is faithful to the book. William Hurt nails his role. And Geena Davis does too. Like so many of Tyler's characters these are uniformly eccentric yet lovable people. And the Baltimore setting works (hope it isn't Toronto again) .
When a travel writer loses his wife (neither can recover from the death of a child), he moves back in with his siblings and finds a dog whisperer to help him with his dog and eventually with his life. A nice little movie. Kathleen Turner is in it too little though. This was directed by Lawrence Kasdan who also directed Hurt in THE BIG CHILL.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always like William Hurt so much in his roles. This one's no exception.

Jeff Meyerson said...

I agree. I loved the book and the movie did a good job. I'd forgotten that it was nominated for Best Picture. Of course, Davis won for Supporting Actress.

Unknown said...

I like this one, too, being a huge fan of both Geena Davis and Kathleen Turner. And Hurt's good, too.

Jeff Meyerson said...

Hurt plays few likable characters these days. Like Bill, I prefer the old days.

pattinase (abbott) said...

For some reason, writers seem unable to develop shows (esp those with arcs)that have likable characters.

George said...

THE ACCIDENTAL TOURIST, both the book and the movie, are first-rate.

Gerard Saylor said...

Another example of the principal photography on a movie being completed a full year before the actual films release, i wonder if the actors even remember being in it when it finally reaches the public ! ?, a good movie though like you said Patti.

Yvette said...

I think I read this and I think I saw the movie. But since I'm not at all sure, I think I'll add the book to my reread TBR list. Thanks, Patti.